Sam McElroy is back… The numbers: A measure that tracks consumer prices shows the cost of living is increasing at the fastest pace in six years, reflecting a strong U.S. economy and ultra-tight labor market that’s stoking inflation. The consumer price index increased 0.2% in May, the government said Tuesday, in line with Wall Street’s forecast. The report came out one day before a Federal Reserve meeting in Washington that’s expected to result in another increase in U.S. interest rates. A more closely followed measure that strips out food and energy also rose 0.2% last month. It’s known as the core rate of inflation. The consumer price index has risen 2.8% in the past 12 months, up from 2.5% in April. That’s the fastest rate since early 2012. The yearly increase in the core rate edged up to 2.2%. What happened: The increase in the cost of living last month was spearheaded by the rising cost of gasoline, medical care and shelter — rent and home prices. The cost of medical care has accelerated again after a slowdown toward the end of 2017. Ditto for rents and home prices. Gasoline prices have climbed after what the IEA calls solid demand, reduced OPEC output and geopolitical developments. Americans are paying less for new and used cars, airline fares and communications services such as wireless and cable, but that hasn’t been nearly enough to offset a broad increase in prices. Big picture: On guard for rising inflation, the Fed was already poised to raise a key U.S. interest rate. The central bank is expected to take action Wednesday after the end of a two-day meeting. The big question now is whether the Fed raises rates one more time before the end of 2018, as previously planned, or takes a more aggressive approach as many on Wall Street now expect.
- This is the future they have planned for us…
- Are They Essentially Erasing Most Of The Internet?
- Heads Up: Something big is going down. Just about every commodity is collapsing in price. Things deteriorated so much that all the supply chain metrics have become way less constrained
- Bill Gates: Social Credit Scores Are An “Asset”
- Horrific news from Sodom Island
- China’s Warning ENTIRE Economy Will Collapse In 34 Days
- The Dead Internet theory just got even creepier….
- People Are Going To Go Absolutely Insane When Food Prices Double Or Triple From Current Levels
- CDC is quietly deleting misleading information from their website. The following statement was removed from their website between July 16th and July 22nd
- If you are waiting for recession, inflation down, FED pivot, etc., by the time it happens, markets would have already priced most or all of it in. Right on schedule… Michael Burry says the Big Crash is anytime now!